human factors usability engineering Graduate
We are offering the opportunity for an exceptional graduate to join our team.
For more information on University Graduates at eg technology, along with a presentation given to students by Aishwarya Pattar, Software Engineer, please see https://www.egtechnology.co.uk/page/university-graduates.
eg technology are a product engineering design and development specialist based in Cambridge, UK. We create the next generation of medical devices and consumer products, making a positive difference to how people live.
At eg we engineer real products based on our collective engineering experience and innovative thinking and have a great record of delivering inspiring and successful products across a wide range of market sectors. We know how to get products to market for our clients by specialising in industrial and mechanical design, human factors, electronics and software engineering, project management and quality assurance.
We value teamwork and collaboration. We are client-centric, open, honest and share our ideas, experience and knowledge across projects. This creates a supportive, enjoyable and relaxed environment for our valued team, which we are currently looking to grow.
We are offering an amazing opportunity for a motivated graduate to join our team in late summer 2022.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE ROLE
We are looking for an ambitious, creative and organised individual who will work within our Human Factors and Usability Engineering team to create user experiences and user interfaces for our clients’ products.
As a Human Factors and Usability Engineer you will apply user-centred design methodologies to research, define, create, develop, test and refine user experiences on projects from start to finish. You will engage with end-users, focus groups, members of internal and external teams, suppliers and sub-contractors to research, design and deliver exceptional product experiences. Your passion will be usability and you will use your creative and logical design skills to offer digital and physical experiences that enhance intended use of products and minimise risk of use error You will work on projects in the medical, scientific/laboratory, consumer, industrial and food & drink industries.
You may have a background in Industrial Design, Graphics and Marketing, Software, Computer Science or another relevant discipline, and will have the opportunity to use these core technical skills, in addition to Human Factors and Usability, on projects and within eg as opportunities arise.
You will focus on Human Factors and Usability, contributing as part of a team working on projects from client instructions to transfer to manufacture. You will research and quantify requirements, use your confident and methodical interpersonal skills to interview users and extract insights, and use your technical design skills to create high-quality outputs that can be used, evaluated and delivered. Your deliverables across projects will include user research reports, user task and risk analysis, user workflows, software workflows, storyboards, formative and summative reports, and fully detailed user interfaces.
In addition to Human Factors and Usability, you may have interests and experience in one or more of the following:
- Human Computer Interactions, Computer Science and Software, meaning that you have experience of creating working User Interfaces to experiment and evaluate concepts
- A keen interest in graphic design, layout, colour, typography and branding that has led to you developing considered visual UI designs
- Another relevant technical engineering discipline such as Industrial Design, Product Design or Mechanical Design
You will represent the company through external meetings with clients and suppliers. Your continued development is paramount to us and we will therefore offer tailored guidance and support whilst working on interesting and challenging projects.
Design work and deliverables to be undertaken in accordance with industry standards and working within an ISO 13485 quality management system.
IDEAL CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS
- Specific training and experience in Human Factors and Usability Engineering. Ideally you will have good knowledge and some experience of User Centred design methodologies and tools, user research, workflow analysis, risk analysis, usability testing, usability evaluation and creating documentation.
- A willingness to learn about current legislation, EC 62366 (parts 1 and 2) and FDA & Human Factors Engineering as well as harmonized standards applicable to our client’s projects. eg MDR, IVDR, ISO 14971, ISO 13485, IEC 62304.
- A flair for creating and developing innovative and practical solutions to challenging problems, often with stringent requirements. This will be complimented by an understanding of the skills and tools used in product development from problem analysis, concept development, detail design, evaluation, test and transfer to manufacture.
- You will have a keen interest in product user experiences from system design, wire-framing, user workflows, coding, building prototypes and evaluation.
- Experience in Adobe packages, such as XD, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign as well as one or more of Sketch, Balsamiq, Axure RP, Marvel or InVision.
- An interest in software development for user interfaces would be an advantage. You may have an understanding of object orientated design and have experience in developing software, perhaps web based or on PC, tablet, phone, or embedded platforms.
- Graphic design skills including knowledge of working with layout, colour, iconography, typography and brand identity. Experience in these, along with marketing, creative writing and photography, will be an advantage.
- Industrial Design skills including concept generation, illustration, CAD modelling (preferably Solidworks), prototyping and manufacturing processes, will be an advantage.
- Excellent attention to detail, communication and presentation skills.
- A proactive and rational approach to the management of ambiguity, unknown factors and risks, and the skills to plan projects and manage time effectively and efficiently against project time and budget constraints.
- An open attitude to working in a peer-review culture of project and design work.
- On track to achieve or have a relevant honours degree with a minimum of a 2:1.
Please visit our Careers Section to find out more about eg technology, career development of our staff, the benefits we offer and testimonies of why it is great working with us. Salary will be dependent upon the individual candidate’s expertise and experience. Interviews can commence at the earliest convenience.
You will be directed to eg technology-factorialhr
Please include in your application a covering letter explaining why you would like to work for eg technology, a CV and any supporting information.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.
If you require any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on email@example.com.
What our staff say...
"Getting to work on cutting edge medical technologies with incredibly bright people makes for a very satisfying career, but the friendly atmosphere and culture here is what really makes eg a fantastic place to work."